Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 3 or Did That Really Just Happen? Really?

Today we decided to hike in the Denali park entrance. No long bus ride just a relaxed day of hiking. We thought since we weren't going deep into the park that we would see less wildlife. Oh my were we ever wrong.

We started off the hike to the top of Mt. Healy and not 10 minutes in we see this:


That is a baby moose chillin' like a villain about 50 feet of the trail. Someone on the way down gave us the heads up so I threw the zoom lens on and there you have it. A picture of a moose. But it doesn't stop there. Oh no our wildlife tour was just begining. We walked up the trail about another 100 feet or so and saw this:


That's momma moose. I had to lean in for this shot and my heart was pounding out of my chest. We weren't terribly close but moose are really big and I was kinda freakin.

We continued our hike and got close to the top of Mt. Healy. We made a new friend:


This crazy prarie dog let me get so close it was uncomfortable. I didn't have the zoom lens on for this I was so close I could have reached out and pet him. I didn't.

The whole hike we spoke to people that had seen the moose we had seen at the begining of the trail. It seemed that they had been there a while so we were optimistic that we would see them on the way down. That's when we saw this:



Are you freaking KIDDING ME? This was the same baby we saw on the way up but it had crossed the trail and was having lunch. We were about 15 feet away.


We hung out and took pictures and video but we knew momma was close by so we didn't linger too long. I think I didn't breathe the entire time we were there. It was surreal. No zoom lens for this one either. It was the real deal. Up close and personal.

Everyone that is reading this I must tell you that this is a place you need to see. If you have a bucket list add Denali too it. This has already been the most amazing trip and we are only 3 days in.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Your trip sounds amazing! I'm definitely putting that on the bucket list!!

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like you guys are having a fantastic time!!! Loved your blogs; keep 'em coming. I think I told you that AK is most certain on my list and hopefully sooner than later. Maybe for J&I's 10th anniversary. :) Denali looks fantastic. I was in the most northern part of Scotland once (which is actually parallel to Juneau) for solstice and it was crazy - you could read outside at 10pm. I am sure it is just CRAZY being even so much further north. Looks awesome! Hi to Mike too and you guys have an amazing time!!!
Lisa MK